Verde Valley School is a small (120 students), independent, boarding and day school serving grades
9-12. VVS was founded in 1948 on the principles of academic excellence, world citizenship,
environmental stewardship, physical labor, and service to others. The International Baccalaureate
(IB) Diploma Program is our main curriculum, and our diverse community comprises local and
international students. Please visit our website for more information at www.vvsaz.org
Position begins July 1, 2023 for the 2023-24 academic year. Head of School for a multi-cultural and
experiential co-ed boarding and day school nestled in the valley overlooking Cathedral Rock in
Sedona, Arizona. Proven administrative and leadership experience and in-depth knowledge of the
international and domestic boarding school market required. Experience of a school with a mix of
day and boarding students and interest in experiential education strongly preferred. The Head of
School will work closely with the Board of Trustees in implementing a Long-Term Strategic Plan to
redefine VVS’ competitive position in the market. Collaborative leadership skills and commitment
to fiscal discipline are a must. Graduate degree in a relevant field is strongly preferred. Salary
commensurate with other small schools, with opportunity for performance bonuses, plus a benefits
package that includes year-round housing and meals on campus while school is in session. As Verde
Valley School courses are inherently international, cultural sensitivity is highly valued. Candidates
must be willing to wholeheartedly engage in all facets of boarding school life.Timeline
Applications will be accepted until December 1, 2022. Interviews will be conducted via Zoom, and
a select group of finalists will be invited to campus to meet with additional stakeholders including
staff and students. We hope to sign a contract of employment as soon as possible but no later than
January 31, 2023.
The position begins July 1 st 2023 (negotiable). This is a 12 month position with vacation and other
opportunities subject to negotiation.
Please send cover letter, resume, statement of educational philosophy, and five letters of reference
with the subject heading ‘Head of School Application’ to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
● To supervise the School’s Leadership Team as well as all faculty and staff, and lead
ongoing team meetings. To handle all matters regarding employment, retention, and
dismissal of personnel, salaries and contracts, job assignments and performance
evaluations, and orientation and training.
● To guide the curriculum strategy for the School.
● To lead the admissions program to generate a healthy recruitment and retention strategy
for students and families.
● To support School and disciplinary policies related to standards of conduct.
● To supervise programming of the School (academic, athletic, and experiential programs
including field expeditions).
● To prepare and manage financial budgets.
● To work collaboratively with and report to the Board of Trustees on all matters involving
the current and future health and welfare of the School.
● To represent the School to all its constituents including neighborhood, parents, students,
alumni, business community, educational organizations, faculty, and staff.
● To support fundraising efforts in collaboration with the School’s Head of Advancement.
● To forge strategic partnerships and develop alternative sources of revenue (land use,
facilities rental) in collaboration with the Head of Advancement.
● To supervise and/or assist with the School's operation, including (but not limited to)
facilities maintenance and operation, transportation, and summer programs.
● To further advocate the Mission of the School as put forth by the Board of Trustees.