School Counselor and Wellness Coordinator:
Why Verde Valley School?
Verde Valley School is among the oldest college preparatory schools in the West and was one of the country’s first United Nations identified international schools. The school is
located in idyllic Sedona, Arizona surrounded by thousands of acres of natural landscape and beauty. Verde Valley is a small (120 students), independent, boarding, and day school serving students from around the world, grades 9-12. Celebrating its 75th year, VVS exists to graduate world citizens. The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program serves as the school’s curriculum, in balance with among the nation’s finest
Experiential Education program and our outdoor programs, VVS attracts students from around the world.
Please visit our website for more information at www.VVSAZ.org
Why work at VVS?
● Countless miles of hiking/biking trails and abundant other forms of outdoor recreation.
● A commitment to sustainability and living with the desert.
● A strong commitment to experiential learning, and outdoor recreation
● A beautiful campus, complete with a teaching farm, equestrian programs, and outdoor classrooms.
● Competitive pay, benefits, and campus housing in Sedona, Arizona
● Students learn the value of hard work and everybody pitches in when a job needs to be done
Reports to the Dean of Students
The School Counselor, as a member of the student care team, is responsible for advocating and
supporting the social, mental, and emotional health of 120 boarding and day students in grades 9-12.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include:
● Provide individual/group counseling to students on an as-needed or emergency basis.
● Work with families and refer students, when appropriate, to outside mental health providers.
● Work with the Administration Team to develop relationships with outside mental health providers.
● Provide real-time crisis support when a student is in critical need.
● Reside on campus in campus housing and participate in residential life duty teams.
● Be an active member of the VVS community including attending meals, participating in activities, and actively engaging in the lives of the students in our care.
● Serve as a resource and consultant on adolescent student mental health for all students and staff.
● Coordinate, enhance, and teach the school’s Social and Emotional Learning course.
● Think holistically and develop school wide programs around wellness at VVS
Minimum Requirements/ Qualifications / Competencies:
● Must hold, or is able to obtain, a current AZ school counselor license in a mental health field, and/or a Master’s Degree in Psychology, Social Work, or related field.
● At least 3 years of work experience preferably in an independent school environment.
● Strong communicator, creative problem solvers, and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
● Competent with Google Apps for Education
The ideal candidate:
● Is a dedicated self-starter who is creative in their approach to student health and well-being.
● Is able to zoom in and zoom out quickly as they work both collaboratively with the student care team to develop school-wide programming and then quickly shift to working
individually with specific students who might need additional care or support.
● Is an advocate for health and wellness on campus and supports both faculty and students as they navigate the difficult and challenging terrain of living and learning in a
● Is committed to the school’s principles and values of world citizenship, the value of physical labor, academic excellence, service to others, and environmental stewardship.
● Is able to be both proactive and reactive concerning student mental health.
● Effectively communicates with students, faculty, and parents in a timely manner.
● Detail-oriented and able to create and follow through on student care plans.
● Adhere to all state and federal laws addressing the subjects of confidentiality and privileged communication.
Position begins July 1, 2024.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
● Medical, dental, and vision insurance